Table of Content
- Owners’ responsibilities
- Board Directors’ responsibilities
- Floor captains’ responsibilities
- COOCVE Directors’ responsibilities
- Seacrest’s responsibilities
As members of the Association, owners have an obligation to comply with the Florida Condominium Act, the Grantham E Governing Documents, its rules and regulations. They also have the following responsibilities:
- To use and enjoy the property in a manner that will not hinder or infringe on the rights of the other unit owners;
- To educate their guests about complying to the rules;
- To preserve the beauty of the property by not littering, damaging or simply not caring;
- To insure their unit against property damage and liabilities;
- To pay their monthly dues;
- Not to make any alterations to their units that would adversely affect the safety or soundness of the building, the common elements or any other portion of the property;
- To attend, participate and vote in person or by proxy to meetings and other proceedings;
- To bring any concerns or problems to any Director’s attention; and
- To serve on the Board of Directors, as needed.
Approval from the Board and permits
Owners have a regulated obligation to get approval from the Board of Directors and obtain permits prior to the following actions:
- Starting a renovation project such as kitchen & bathroom remodelling;
- Knocking down walls and floor plan reconfiguration;
- Plumbing such as changing water heaters, toilets, sinks, showers & tubs;
- Electricity such as changing electric panels, electric fixtures & ACs;
- Installing doors, windows, hurricane shutters and enclosing balconies;
- Mold remediation works (i.e. replacing drywall)
Requiring Board approval:
- Installing hard surface floor on 2nd, 3rd & 4th floor;
- Installing a communication dish or devices;
- Changing the front door lock;
- Adding or changing occupants;
- Leasing or selling their unit;
- Bringing an animal to the property;
- Having guests overnight during their absence; and
- Any other action or project which may alter the appearance of the property.
Failing to get approval from the Board and obtain appropriate permits on any of the above actions may result in serious financial and/or legal consequences.
Board Directors’ responsibilities
SIX MAIN TASKS AND SEVERAL OTHER ONGOING RESPONSIBILITIES
Aside from the duties inherent to each Officer’s position, these six main tasks are led by one Director with the assistance of one or more additional Directors. Owners are welcome to volunteer their time and effort to participate in the completion of any of these ongoing tasks.
1- Rules & Regulations
2- Safety, Maintenance & Repair
3- Landscaping & Exterior Environment
This task, led by Linda, is to inform and advise the Board of Directors on issues related to landscaping and the beautification of our exterior environment. In addition, upon approval by the Board, it involves initiating and supervising the completion of related projects.
4- Communication & Website
This task, led by Raymond, is to inform and advise the Board of Directors on activities related to communication. In addition, upon approval by the Board, it involves keeping and enhancing the communication lines with the owners as well as maintaining and updating the granthame.com website and Facebook page.
5- Social & Community Life
6- Budget and Finances
This task, led by Linda, and assisted by Raymond, is to inform and advise the Board of Directors on the finances, expenses and other financial issues. In addition, upon approval by the Board, it involves planning, budgeting and forecasting expenses in the short, medium and long term.
Other ongoing responsibilities
In addition to the above on-going tasks, the following tasks are completed regularly by Directors:
- Attending to emergencies, defined as an imminent threat - an ongoing threat or a hazard to lives or property;
- Receiving complaints and resolving disputes;
- Conducting random inspections of the property such as laundry & storage rooms, lobby, elevator, stairwells, catwalks, perimeter of the building and the property;
- Following-up on regular fire equipment inspections, safety and other inspections
- Educating owners on their responsibilities;
- Posting messages and notices, and keeping bulletin boards clean;
- Liaising and meeting with suppliers, contractors, Seacrest Services and other trade professionals for guidance and services on landscaping, maintenance and repairs projects;
- Liaising and meeting with Master Management, Cenclub, COOCVE, Deerfield Beach City and other corporate/governmental entities for management and organizational issues;
- Liaising and meeting with lawyers, insurers, realtors, bankers and other organizations for financial, legal and liabilities matters;
- Collecting coins monthly from the laundry machines and making deposits;
- Mailing, filing and record keeping;
- Reviewing and approving application for occupancies (i.e. for new owners, occupants or renters); and
- Organizing and attending various meetings.
Floor captains’ responsibilities
Floor captains are necessary and only needed during an evacuation of the building in case of an emergency. They are responsible to:
- Verify each unit on their floor by knocking to doors;
- Guide people, calmly and safely, to the closest stairwell;
- Guide them to a safe location away from the building and the first responder operation site; and
- If asked on site at the time by the Fire Dept., to report on their actions.
The activation of the fire alarm and/or the use of fire extinguishers are the responsibility of any person who first sees smoke or a fire. Only use the fire extinguisher if it’s safe to do so.
Any questions with regards to safety, should be addressed to any Director of the Board.
COOCVE Directors’ responsibilities
All 253 Associations are members of COOCVE, with voting representation depending on the number of units per building. Grantham E may have up to 4 Directors, representing the owners at COOCVE. The COOCVE Directors and Alternate Directors are elected by the unit Owners of each member Association. They act as the “Congress” of Century Village East.
Seacrest is contracted out to provide full-service property management and professional accounting services as well as landscaping, property maintenance, pest control and janitorial services.